Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Hanging in there

It might be hard to believe, but I am still sick. This morning I dragged myself to the pharmacy to get more medication, but there just doesn't seem to be anything I can do for my throat. Oh well, bed rest is it I guess.

The good news is that today my mum and sister are coming to visit. I was supposed to go there, but in my current state I am more than a little reluctant to drive. Anyway, there should be here in an hour or so. No offense guys, but I am not even going to bother attempting to clean up for you. The little walk to the pharmacy has wiped my out!

The other good news is that the bejewelled scarf is just a handful of rows from completion.


I have also been making my way through the books sis lent me (she goes home on Friday so I should finish them by then). I know you have all probably well versed in the Yarn Harlot and Elizabeth Zimmermann, but these are new to me.

I was remarkably surprised by the similarities of the two books. I am almost finished 'The Secret Life of a Knitter' and I have to say that I can totally related to stories about stashes (and I have only been knitting for a little over 6 months!) and finding mistakes in the fourth row and a meter of knitting! I have also laugh (out loud) and cried at hearing some of the stories towards the end - I don't want to give anything away, my Mum hasn't read this yet.

'Knitting without Tears' was a practical, down to earth knitting guide with some very useful tips. I have now finished this book (and think that I will have to get my own copy some day). There were times when I thought that I had already read a section but it turns out that Yarn Harlot had been discussing such things in her book. These include making knitting your own - everyone's style is different, cutting (I don't get this at all!!) a jumper to put sleeves in and how easy knitting is, if you want to do it! I did also have a chuckle at a couple of statements, such as Ms Zimmermann likes to put button holes on both sides of the cardigan so boys and girls can wear them (no boys wear cardigans anymore and who cares what side the buttons are on!) and also that she is lucky enough to own a 'thinking woman's wash- machine'!

I give both books 5 mittens out of 5 mittens!

Quick dog update - still no walk, but both behaving very well except for a new hole developing in the backyard. I am sure that I will one day curse this as I run out in the dark, just as rain starts to fall and I trip and almost break something. Until then, I am grateful that they are being so patient with their sickly owners!

BF modeling the Yarn Magazine tea cosy I finished about a month ago after the MagNation knitting nite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home